Thursday 3 March 2011

Fabriano Extra white v Arches

Springtime, Ullswater Watercolour by Jane Ward

I painted this classic Ullswater vista using the Fabriano Extra white paper. Stretching it on my Ken Bromley stretcher, it worked a treat, and was surprisingly a lovely paper to paint on. I felt that it granulated the washes more than Arches but on the other hand I could take out colour so easily, I also felt that it was a pretty durable paper and at approx £1.50 a sheet cheaper than Arches it was very good value.I compared the colour of the paper against Arches which is definitely much whiter. But this was the main reason for trying out this paper, I wanted to achieve a 'brighter' watercolour. The only negative I had was that it did seem to feel slippery compared to my beloved Arches paper!

1 comment:

Dave from Keswick said...

Its daffodil time again and you've captured it with beautiful effect. I can't believe that the time has flown by so quickly. It seems just like yesterday that I wondered which yellow would work best for the colour of daffodils, Gamboge perhaps? Beautiful skies Jane.
Cheers
Dave.