Wednesday 10 August 2011

Pochade box review


Skiddaw from Portinscale's wild flower field

Towards Latrigg and can you see the dorm m? Only joking, I love this sort of view. Especially painted with Oils and using a palette knife for some of the grasses, some bright shades of Pink for the thistle heads would complement the green trees in the background. 
My Pochade box came yesterday, I'm delighted with it, I can't wait to use it, the view above would have been perfect. I've gone for a cheaper version as I'm unsure how much I will use it, after some research, some came in around £200 and upwards. So £38 from Ken Bromley seemed pretty cheap, but I did think that they wouldn't sell anything which would drop to bits. So what's it like.
Lightweight, this is without my gear in! The carry strap is adjustable and seems comfy to carry. Two boards measuring 12 x 10 fit smugly into the back, oil paper could be attached to the back of these for more sketch studies.  The box which holds the paints can be taken off completely leaving you with a carry box and easel for the boards. I wonder what the palette will be like as this is attached to the box, I tend to use tear off  palettes so I may use these instead of the wooden palette. I don't want to spoil it!! It looks very attractive, and seems to be very well made. I will let you know how the first trip out goes, it's a shame that today it's well how do I say 'more than raining!'
Here is a link to my Pochade box.

 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Just seen your initial thoughts on your pochade box. Hope you've had lots of opportunity to make use of it since last August. Can you give us an update on how practical you've found it - what pitfalls/downsides and obviously the positives. I'm considering this pochade box and would appreciate a bit of professional feedback. Peter

Lakeland art said...

Hi Peter,
Thanks for the comment
I will give an update on my pochade box over the next couple of weeks, I'm delighted with it for the price it's been great.

Anonymous said...

Hi Jane, I am interested in the pochade box. Have you found it useful? Jacqui

Lakeland art said...

Hi Jacqui,
I have found the Pochade box useful for painting en-plein. Having everything you need in one small lightweight box is ideal, I have used throw away palettes instead of the wooden palette provided, I find that this solves the problem of cleaning the board between paintings.I have thought about attaching a camera bracket onto underneath, so that I can stand while painting. For the price that this pochade box is I think it is ideal, and it's been very sturdy and not warped with use. Hope you have fun painting with it. Jane