Monday 3 June 2013

Maglia rosso passione


Maglia rosso passione  
painted in Watercolours

I loved painting this watercolour, it took me ages thinking about it, a few practice runs and lots of sketches.
I wanted overall a simple feeling, but with movement and pure colour. 

I sat and waited with anticipation and excitement at Borgetto. Then in a mad panic pencil and paper with a camera at the ready. Cheered as the riders came by, delighted to see Mark Cavendish wearing the Maglia Rosso jersey, 

Then an idea came to mind, 'A painting'

  So when someone asks 'how long did it take to paint this?'
The answer will be 'A cycle ride up and down Ghisalla, two afternoons spent sketching and planning while watching the final Giro days and then a morning spent painting? I'm sure they will wish they never asked!


So here are a few photo's to show you what a stunning ride the famous  Passo del Ghisallo is but also a Brute!! At 552 metres to climb and hairpins snaking steeply up to the top it was sheer joy and agony all rolled into one

A ferry takes us across Lake Como from Varena  to Bellagio with stunning scenery to enjoy.



Bellagio stunning but a little to busy and touristy, I prefer Lake Iseo for painting 


 But then we leave the crowds behind, ask for directions and it's Up UP and Up



Here I come, making my way slowly round each tight hairpin but with views getting more beautiful the higher you go, it was a totally amazing special cycle ride.



The reason for getting to the top, Madonna del Ghisallo the patroness of cycling. A beautiful tiny church dedicated to the cyclists with many famous cycles and jerseys from legends of the cycling eternity.




Views like these are worth the struggle up and what inspiration for an artist who wears Pink!!
So now you know it's not just about painting a scene or a view , it's passion.



I think I may have to invest in a new cycling top and this looks perfect! 

2 comments:

Studio at the Farm said...

The scenery is incredibly beautiful!!!

Robina Hatchett said...

Hi Jane. I have just returned from a week at Lake Como, and visited Bellagio and Varenna. Beautiful scenery and great for ideas for painting. I anticipate that Lake Iseo will be quieter will less tourists. Looking forward to September. Robina