Saturday 19 July 2014

Cat Mountain


Lac Bourget noted for it's beauty by many artists and poets. 
Much quieter than Annecy but equally as rugged and beautiful. It reminded me of the Italian lakes with it's vineyards growing on the hillsides and it certainly was warm.
Perfect weather for cycling up the two noted hardest cols in France, which I can agree totally with.


'Mont Chat' aka 'Cat Mountain' was the first devil of a climb with gradients between 9 to 11% all the rotten way. Dappling tree shade most of the way and glimses down to the lake below. The vista opens up with views down to Chambery and across the alps to Mont Blanc. With a massive radio mast at the top, which reminded me of Mont Ventoux


The top was reached finally, I did get off and do a couple of sneaky pushing the bike when nobody was watching. Also thought at the last kilometre to go, I don't need to see the top but it's amazing what you can do when there is a cold refreshing drink at the top.


Recovered and it feels on top of the world!!



Lac Bourget below amid the wild flowers growing on the edge.


Day two finds us at the foot of Grand Colombier. This mighty hard climb featured only once in the tour de France a couple of years ago.Here I am admiring the view, and also muttering words that I cannot repeat. The road was melting below our tyres this gauges the heat of the day.


The views from the saddle were spectacular, the reason why I do this mad mad thing. I'm not looking back but across to the might Mont Blanc below. Figuring how to paint the sky with these cotton wool clouds.
We are joined at the top by a group of other balmy cyclists all happy and enjoying the vista.




Great seeing these famous names from when Wiggo won in 2012, I wish they were both racing this year.


I thought the Cormet Roselend was picturesque but this was quite stunning and a wonderful free ride down after the battle uphill on 14% at a couple of places. Number One Art Critic passed a sign and said happily 'look a 8% ' it read 8.9 I call that 9% Saying all of this I'm delighted to have cycled this famous hard route.And quite proud.



No comments: